Blog #2: Soundwalk

It was a Monday afternoon, and as I was walking around my home neighborhood I heard many different sounds. From the moment I stepped outside my front door I heard a tree bark snap. I stepped on one as I was coming out. The texture of the tree bark snapping sounded like a crack of something that is very fragile. The texture sounded light and quick. I could hear the air. The air sounded muffled, as if it was being contained in a jar of some kind. I heard the sound of the air throughout my walk. I also heard birds chirping. The birds sounded like they were communicating with one another. It sounded like multiple distinct conversations happening at once between them. The sounds of the birds were loud and they seemed very close. However, when I looked around my surroundings I didn’t see them. I heard a fire truck in the distant background. It sounded like a loud cry for help though there were no words spoken. The sound was screechy and high pitched. I heard the sound of cars driving by as well. I could hear the rubber of the tires gliding (quickly) on the pavement. It sounded heavy, like it weighed a ton. Given the sounds I was hearing during my walk, I found the sound of the birds chirping as if they were having a conversation with one another to be the most fascinating. Birds don’t speak, at least not in the way that humans do, yet they sound like they are speaking. I did not expect to hear the birds so clearly, so distinctly. The sounds that made my walk pretty clear that I was walking in a suburban area was the overall quiet that I heard. I’m usually in the heart of New York and there is never really a quiet moment. However, when you are in the out-skirts of the city the sound of quietness prevails.

Comments